Jump to Main ContentJump to Primary Navigation
Gloucester Rugby
match day live
Full Time
Exeter Chiefs
Post Match Report
Live Reporting
Pre-match Buildup

Gloucester Rugby beat Exeter 45-19 at Kingsholm

Report by Jon Davies

A youthful Gloucester side containing five starting debutants produced a dominant first-half display to make it two wins from two in this season’s Premiership Rugby Cup with a 45-19 win over Exeter Chiefs at Kingsholm.

What happened?

The Cherry and Whites put the first points on the board early on as full-back Lloyd Evans slotted over a penalty after a strong shove from the Gloucester pack at a scrum.

After surviving a spell of Exeter pressure close to their try-line, the hosts quickly went up-field and opened the try-scoring as centre Louis Hillman Cooper made an incisive break from deep before quick ball allowed back-row debutants Jack Bartlett and Harry Taylor to combine for Taylor to run in under the posts for a try converted by Evans.

That was quickly followed by another Gloucester try as a strong driving maul set up good field position, with some silky handling from the backs creating space for wing Jake Morris to dive in at the corner.

Exeter’s indiscipline continued to cost them and referee Jake Makepeace ran out of patience midway through the half sending centre Ian Whitten to the sin bin.

The hosts made their numerical advantage with two quick-fire tries from wing Alex Morgan, the first seeing him break through a gap in midfield to score before adding his second – and Gloucester’s fourth – scoring out wide after quick hands from the Gloucester backs.

Full-back Lloyd Evans continued his 100% record from the kicking tee adding the conversion to give the hosts a 31-0 after 33 minutes, before the visitors responded with Rus Tuima going over from close-range to make the score 31-7 at the break.

The hosts maintained their dominance early in second-half with George Barton scoring in the corner after wing Alex Morgan did well to free his hands and offload the ball with two defenders upon him.

Exeter hit back with some impressive handling eventually resulting in winger Arthur Relton stretching to dot the ball over the line for a well-worked try.

Gloucester were reduced to 14 men just before the hour mark with flanker Jack Clement yellow carded, and Exeter soon scored another try with substitute Sam Hidalgo-Clyne sniping over from close range for a try converted by fly-half Jack Walsh.

Gloucester had the final say however with Jack Reeves darting over late on to seal a crushing 45-19 win.

Key moment

After building up a commanding half-time lead, George Barton’s try early in the second-half destroyed any hopes Exeter had of a comeback victory.

What’s next?

The Cherry and Whites return to Premiership action next Friday as they visit Wasps Rugby at the Ricoh Arena, before hosting West Country rivals Bristol Bears at Kingsholm on Friday 3rd December.

George Skivington reacts to Exeter

Jack Clement reacts to Exeter


Match statsTeam lineups
Gloucester Rugby
78' B. Twelvetrees
77' J. Reeves
59' J. Clement
45' L. Evans
45' G. Barton
33' L. Evans
32' A. Morgan
28' L. Evans
28' A. Morgan
22' L. Evans
21' J. Morris
16' L. Evans
16' H. Taylor
9' L. Evans
Exeter Chiefs
65' J. Walsh
64' S. Hidalgo-Clyne
54' A. Relton
38' J. Hodge
37' R. Tuima
27' I. Whitten