And, after a bright start, that looked unlikely with Gloucester trailing at half time and only having scored one try.
Howver, a scintillating second half performance saw Akapusi Qera add two more tries to his first half effort and a penalty try eventually secure the bonus point, the win and the quarter final berth.
Having sweated over whether they would clinch the fifth best second placed finisher berth, Gloucester actually secured fourth spot resulting in the trip to Wycombe to face Wasps who were the third best group winner in the ACC.
AMLIN CHALLENGE CUP QUARTER-FINAL QUALIFIERS
The qualifiers and their rankings for the Amlin Challenge Cup 2009/10 quarter-finals are:
1. Connacht Rugby (Top ranked AAC Pool winner)
2. Toulon (Second ranked AAC Pool winner)
3. London Wasps (Third ranked ACC Pool winner)
4. Newcastle Falcons (Fourth ranked ACC Pool winner)
5. Cardiff Blues (Third best Heineken Cup Pool runner-up)
6. Gloucester Rugby (Fourth best Heineken Cup Pool runner-up)
7. Scarlets (Fifth best Heineken Cup Pool runner-up)
8. Bourgoin (Fifth ranked ACC Pool winner)
The quarter-final matches, to be played 8 / 9 / 10 / 11 April, 2010, will be:
1 Connacht Rugby (ACC 1) v Bourgoin 8 (ACC 5)
2 Toulon (ACC 2) v Scarlets 7 (Heineken Cup 3)
3 London Wasps (ACC 3) v Gloucester Rugby 6 (Heineken Cup 2)
4 Newcastle Falcons (ACC 4) v Cardiff Blues 5 (Heineken Cup 1)