Jump to Main ContentJump to Primary Navigation

Cherry and Whites battle hard but come away empty-handed in Premiership Rugby 7s Day One

Cherry and Whites battle hard but come away empty-handed in Premiership Rugby 7s Day One
Gloucester Rugby’s young 7s squad showed glimpses of what they are capable of at Franklin’s Gardens on the opening night of the Premiership Rugby 7s, but slipped to defeats at the hands of London Irish and Exeter Chiefs.

Gloucester Rugby 19-27 London Irish

Gloucester Rugby had an early let off in the first game as Irish claimed the kick-off and Jake Morris had to make an outstanding cover tackle. The Cherry and Whites then made Irish pay as patient build-up play led to Alex Morgan showing great pace on the outside to score. George Barton converted superbly for 7-0.

However, Irish were quickly back on terms as Femi Sofalarin beat a man in midfield and had the pace to go clear and score under the posts, the conversion levelling the scores.

But the Cherry and Whites swiftly re-took the lead as Corey Howells stepped a man beautifully and accelerated away to go under the posts.

Barton converted for 14-7, but Sofalarin promply went over in the right-hand corner for his second to narrow the gap to 14-12 and Timi Olapade scooted over after a turnover to give Irish a 12-17 lead at half-time.

[caption id="attachment_28210" align="alignnone" width="1024"]George Barton George Barton (c) PPA UK[/caption]

The Exiles’ ability to claim possession at the restart was proving to be key, and they struck again at the start of the second half, working an opening for Olapade to beat Reece Dunn on the right and score the fourth try and a 14-22 lead.

The Cherry and Whites simply couldn’t get hold of the ball, and Irish continued to dominate possession and it resulted in a further try for Jack Cooke.

However, Gloucester Rugby had the final word as Alex Morgan broke down the left with a lovely dummy and had the pace to go 90 metres for the final score of the game, Irish prevailing though by 27 points to 19.

Gloucester Rugby 0-31 Exeter Chiefs

Gloucester Rugby’s defence was given a good work-out against Exeter in the early stages, as the Chiefs kept hold of the ball for a good four minutes before Sam Morley eventually spotted a gap down the blindside and darted through to score for a 0-5 lead.

Starved of any meaningful possession, the Cherry and Whites had to work hard in defence for the remainder of the half, but held firm to remain in touch at the turnaround.

However, the effort expended in putting in so many tackles seemed to take its toll at the start of the second half as Arthur Relton had the pace to go around the outside for the second try, the conversion opening up a 0-12 lead, before captain Max Bodilly went under the posts from distance to effectively out the game to bed with the conversion making it 0-19.

Luke Mehson burst clear from his own 22 for his team’s fourth try and Bodilly added a fifth with no time remaining, as the Cherry and Whites were denied even a consolation with the Chiefs running out 0-31 winners.
Next Home Match
Kingsholm Stadium
Gloucester Rugby
Sat 4 Jun
KO 15:00
Match starts in
Buy tickets