Jump to Main ContentJump to Primary Navigation

Gloucester-Hartpury push Quins close in physical encounter

Harlequins 28 - 15 Gloucester-Hartpury | Report by Sophie Tandy
(c) Kieron Louloudis Photography | Twitter: @KieronLouloudis

Harlequins 28 - 15 Gloucester-Hartpury | Report by Sophie Tandy

Gloucester-Hartpury got off to a flying start with Natasha Hunt scoring after 17 seconds. Hunt charged down Green's kicks and a lucky bounce from the ball enabled Hunt to regather and run down field to score the first try of the match. Conversion was unsuccessful by Fahey.

Gloucester-Hartpury came out firing putting Harlequins under pressure. A few handling mistakes from Quins and minutes later Gloucester-Hartpury scored again from the set piece. Great forward momentum from Hannah Jones and Robyn Locke, gave Fahey the opportunity to get a quick miss pass out to Rachel Lund on the wing to go over the white-wash. Conversion missed by Fahey.

Harlequins hit back with a strong attacking performance but Gloucester were relentless in defence. Georgia Brock creating turn overs left, right and centre and Zoe Aldcroft making huge upfront tackles. However, Harlequins soon found space out on the wing and with Breach turning on the gas, before fending off Emma Sing to dot down over the try line. Conversion was successful by Green. Quins continued to attack until time was off for injury, as Natasha Hunt was sadly stretchered from the pitch, which meant Bianca Blackburn came off the bench.

Gloucester regained possession and got a penalty advantage. Blackburn made a 30m dash but was stopped short under the post before the referee pulled a yellow card out to penalise Harlequins, Chloe Edwards. Gloucester have another opportunity to score as Fahey looked for a cross-field kick but the ball could not be gathered and resulted in a 22 drop out.

Just before half time Harlequins hooker, Amy Cokayne, caught an interception. The Quins player looked to grubber which was collected by Jones who struggled to present it to her side, Cokayne used her strength to rip the ball and dive over the whitewash. Conversion was successful by Green.

A big attacking performance in the first half from both teams. With Gloucester-Hartpury showing their strength early which mean Quins had to work hard to stay in the game.

Harlequins came back in the second half, using their well-oiled pick and go’s. Gloucester persevered and held Quins up over the line. Offside was called by the referee and another yellow card was shown, this time to Gloucester’s Georgia Brock.  Quins go once more and this time is Edwards who powers over the try line. Successful conversion by Green.

Gloucester were quick to reply when Hannah Jones carved up the Quins defence. The ball went through the back line with the final offload to Emma Sing on the wing who glided over the try line for our third try of the game. Conversion missed by Fahey.

Bryonie King made her way on to the field and instantly made her mark. King got her hands on the ball, showing her strength by dragging the defence with her down the field. Gloucester have an exciting attacking performance, but it begins to get frantic under pressure. In the final minutes the ball is shipped out to Harlequins, Jess Breach who fends off not only one but two defenders and swerves the last to sore a 40m try. The extras were added by Lagi Tuima. 

The final whistle goes at Surrey Sports Park and Harlequins take a late bonus-pint win against Gloucester-Hartpury.

We'd like to also wish Mo a speedy recovery.

Next week we take on DMP Shark in a rearrange game, at the Alpas Arena.


Next Home Match
Kingsholm Stadium
Gloucester Rugby
Fri 2 Sep
KO 19:45
Cardiff Blues
Match starts in
Buy tickets